Client: Bahrain Defence Force
Year Completed: 1991
Value: US$ 32,285,000
Consultant: Frank Shaw Associates
Complete construction and fit-out of a 5-storey 280 bed hospital, Y-shaped on plan with a central atrium. The scope included a link corridor to an existing hospital, a boiler house linked to the hospital extension by an underground walkway, ancillary buildings, alterations within the existing hospital, MEP services and external works.
The hospital’s facilities include 3 surgical wards, 3 medical wards, 2 paediatric wards, an officer’s ward, an ICU, a CCU and kidney dialysis unit all supported by 5 operating theatres, X-ray diagnostic rooms, a pathology department, medical records, equipment maintenance workshops, offices, a library, secretarial units, seminar rooms and a lecture theatre.
The building structure consists of a concrete encased steel frame with precast concrete floor and roof slabs, precast concrete panel external walls and internal blockwork partitions. The internal finishes include plastered and decorated walls, marble and wood wall cladding, gypsum-board and mineral suspended ceilings, tiled and sheet finish floor coverings.
All mechanical, electrical and building services were executed by GPZ’s MEP Division including:
- HVAC systems based on a 3,300KW oil fired boiler plant and a central chiller plant comprising of ten duplex chillers with a 2,100 tons total refrigerant capacity, supplying chilled water to the air handling units, and fan coil units, together with all associated electrical installations. Special features include high efficiency filtration bag filters generally, and absolute filters for the operating theatres with year round temperature and humidity control, differential pressure control for key areas to ensure sterile conditions and an ultra-clean ventilation system in special operating theaters to provide laminar flow over the operating area, complete with special gowns and body exhaust system necklaces.
- Telephone and nurse call systems, a master clock system, MATV and special music systems, intercom and public address systems, operating theatre lighting and controls, lightning protection, a fire detection and protection system including automatic fire ventilation.
- Installation of medical systems comprising of production and distribution of oxygen, nitrous oxide and other gases, together with vacuum suction and other systems such as autoclaves, bed pan washers and a kidney dialysis system.
- Bespoke bedhead trunking housing points for power, lighting, telephones, nurse calls and medical gases.
- A water treatment plant, plumbing and sanitary installations, soil and waste disposal systems.
- Six passenger/bed lifts around the central atrium, a VIP passenger lift and two goods hoists.
- 11KV switchgear and transformer installations, standby generators, and generally all electrical installations associated with the above services and other equipment supplied/installed by the Client.